Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween 2013

Like last year, I was running around last minute trying to find a costume for Kalena. She wanted to be Harry Potter. Since there is no cross dressing at school, it gave me the day to work on making her costume happen. She had found her wand a couple of weeks in advance and I think I was hoping I could talk them out of trick-or-treating. I offered them a deal of buying them any big bag of candy in return for not having to take them out that evening. I got 1 out of the 4 to agree to it in the end. And I know Lavea'i would have been done with it by the time we made it to about the 10th house.

Anyway, after stopping off at 4 different stores. having lunch in the car, dragging two VERY TIRED little kids and one other bored little kid, I finally found everything I was looking for. It didn't mean my day was over preparing the costumes. I had to end up making the scarf for the Griffindor outfit. I also made the glasses out of pipe cleaners. But Kalena knew I wasn't really wanting to do any of this, but since she was such a good sport and went to school as a ghost, I told her I would make it happen. Luckily, I was able to do it.

But as I was upstairs sewing the scarf together, she was downstairs writing me a note letting me know that she knew I didn't want to do it and that it was a lot of work, but that she would do "double dish cleaning" or anything else that I wanted her to do. I broke down in tears because I had not had the best attitude about it, but after reading her note just realized how much this act of costume dressing meant to her.

Tula'i was Superman for school and Dracula at night. He liked being Dracula a lot better than Superman. He also made an awesome Dracula.

Maika ended up being a Ninja. That was a super easy costume and they had Ninja toy weapons at Walmart which made that cool.

Leilani was in her bee costume ALL day and wouldn't let me take it off. She finally took it off after her late afternoon nap and saw the kids with all their candy from school. All in all, it was a fun trick-or-treating experience. Loved getting out and walking with the kids.




0 comments:

The Last of the Baptisms: Tunoa

I am amazed at how beautiful this day turned out! Tunoa has not been excited to be baptized at all until he had his interview with the Bisho...