Friday, June 4, 2010

The Power

Kalena had learned in Primary about the priesthood power. For those of you who aren't LDS, it is the authority to act in God's name. She has learned that someone is baptized, gets blessings, and receives the Holy Ghost by a man that has been given this power. She also knows that Jesus had this power and often reminds us.

But lately she has been telling Cliff and myself that she wants her hair cut short like a boy. I have asked her why, although I know that she cries every time I brush it because she either would have a rats nest in it from sleeping or syrup in it from eating pancakes or waffles. Even if I pulled her hair back to eat, she still managed to get syrup in her hair. But her answer to me was "So I can be a boy." Me: "Why do you want to be a boy?" Kalena proceeds to say, "So I can have the power."

What a smart cookie! So she knows that men hold the priesthood power, but her thought process is also very impressive on what she thinks it take to be a boy.

Needless to say, yesterday she had it with her long hair and I told her I would cut it. I DIDN'T! I decided to have her get a REAL haircut. She looks so different, but she loves it and it makes me want to go and cut my hair. She keeps looking at herself in the mirror and earlier today she came up and said, "Mama, I won't get syrup in my hair anymore." I am glad she LOVES it (even though she tells me she still wants it like a boy). I think I was more nervous than her. I really do like it though. You can decide for yourself.

2 comments:

Nelson & Valerie Cluff said...

super cute, she looks so much older.

Nezhone said...

Holy cow. She looks way older with her hair cut. It's cute though. I can't believe how big she's getting.

The Last of the Baptisms: Tunoa

I am amazed at how beautiful this day turned out! Tunoa has not been excited to be baptized at all until he had his interview with the Bisho...