Friday, September 4, 2020

Ocean City, New Jersey

What an amazing place, Ocean City! The beach was phenomenal and so clean. The kids had a blast boogie boarding every day for hours on end. We drove out there on the 8th of August, which was a Saturday, and arrived there around 4pm. The weather was sunny and humid. The kids really wanted to go to the beach that day, but we had to buy beach tags first in order to swim and enjoy it. So, after we unpacked all of our stuff in the small vacation rental, Cliff and I rode our bikes to buy the beach tags so we wouldn't have to do it Monday morning. That was a fun little bike ride on the boardwalk...most of the way. Anyway, until we got stopped by a police officer telling us that there is no bike riding on the board walk after 12p.m. We still had a ways to go after jumping off, but didn't mind the walk the rest of the way. It was a good stroll looking at the stores and what was around. We got to the place to purchase the tags and was able to get mine for free because I am a Veteran. I only had to pay for the older 4 kids and Cliff. The money goes towards keeping the beaches clean, lifeguards and other things of that sort. We rode our bikes back the whole way on the road and enjoyed it. When we got back, we had dinner and just chilled out the rest of the evening. 

Sunday, the younger 3 really wanted to go for a walk on the beach and kept asking the whole day. I finally gave in around 2p.m. I was ready to get out as well and done sitting in the rental. I can only read so many chapters in the scriptures and play so many games before going insane. Cliff was taking a nap and after he woke up, we went down to the beach. It was nice to get out and walk in the really squishy, fine sand. The water was a bit chilly on the skin as we waded in it. Tunoa kept going further and further out each time, getting his shorts wet. I actually had to roll the waist over a couple of times so they wouldn't fall off of him. We walked about a mile down the shoreline and then turned around. Leilani, Kalena and I picked up shells that Leilani kept and now has them in a jar of water. Tunoa found a little crab that tickled as we held it in the palm of our hands. This was the only one we found. There were a bunch of clam shells, tiny ones, that when the waves came and moved the sand uncovering them, they would quickly bury themselves again as the water resided. This was something I had never seen before. 

You can see the pure peace and joy on the kids faces as we surround ourselves with one of God's beautiful creations.

I am enchanted with sand underneath my feet! This sand was so fine and "squishy" (as Dory would put it) in-between my toes. 

I love my children and the fun we were able to have with each other on this walk.

When we got back from the walk, we played "Catch Phrase." At first, it was everyone but Tunoa and Cliff. My team lost! So, we started another round and Cliff decided to join in the fun. It made the teams uneven, but what was funny was Lavea'i was the one he would pass the machine to for his turn, but would place it on the floor instead of handing it directly to him. This lead to the buzzer going off in Lavea'i's hand. From then on out, it was a game of not giving the buzzer to the person and making them go run for it across the room. Kalena did it to me and I climbed on her and sat on her instead of going to get the machine. Lavea'i at one point threw it into the room where he was sleeping and Tula'i had to hurry and run after it. 

After getting back from the walk and playing the game, we had steak for dinner. It wasn't the best, but it tasted good enough if it was dipped in the juice and had salt sprinkled on it. We also had baked potatoes and cantaloupe. 

After cleaning up and watching "God's Not Dead," we went to bed. Our vacation had begun on this day and was such a joy!!!

0 comments:

The Last of the Baptisms: Tunoa

I am amazed at how beautiful this day turned out! Tunoa has not been excited to be baptized at all until he had his interview with the Bisho...