Sunday, September 6, 2020

First Olympic Triathlon in the Books

I have wanted to try a Triathlon for a few years now and finally accomplished one virtually. Because of Covid, the race went from being in Atlantic City, NJ to being done virtually. Not the best one to do for the first time...virtually, I mean. There was some positives about it, but not having anyone there to cheer you on at the end was one of the hardest things I have ever done. The Hobble Creek 1/2 marathon was a cake walk in comparison to this. I just wanted to give up at the end of the run on this race. It didn't help that we ended up being an hour behind schedule because Ben forgot his shoes to run in. 

I talked my friend, Kami Adcock, to join in with me in doing this Olympic Triathlon. The distances were a 1 mile swim, 22 mile bike ride, and a 6.2 mile run. I thought the swim and the bike was going to be brutal, but it ended up being the easiest portion of the race. The run was a killer. It was at the heat of the day 2:30pm. It was so hot and we were dehydrated because we hadn't carried any water on our run with us. I was weaving in and out of the shade and grass so try and lessen the heat. My legs were quads would start to cramp every time I would run. We ran the whole first 3 miles of the run and then walked most of the last 3 miles. Kami's calf was killing her because she got a charley horse after the swim. My mind was trying to keep me motivated to finish, but my legs were so done with all of it.

I didn't do too bad for a first time. I even got a winners metal in my age bracket! My times were as follows, swim was 47:41.33, bike 1:27:33, run 1:12:09. Brutal, but enjoyable and I would definitely do it again!

All of my swag because the race was done virtually. If it was in Atlantic City, we wouldn't have gotten all of this. There weren't very many people that participated virtually, I guess they all weren't happy about it all being virtual like myself.

0 comments:

The Last of the Baptisms: Tunoa

I am amazed at how beautiful this day turned out! Tunoa has not been excited to be baptized at all until he had his interview with the Bisho...