Monday, September 28, 2009

This is a 1st for...



Yeap, a broken bone in the family. How did it happen you ask? No, not from a trampoline, bike riding, or whatever else you may think. Little did I know there was a little too much testosterone the night we had our princess party with the girls.

I got home and Cliff said that the boys were playing and Maika sprained his ankle. There wasn't any noticable swelling or bruising, so get over it, suck it up, and drive on right? Well, that is the way I was handling it Friday night. Saturday night he wouldn't walk on it again, so Cliff took him into Instacare and had x-rays taken of his leg, excluding the ankle because that isn't where it hurt when we would touch him. By the time the doctor came in to check on Maika, I was there with the rest of the kids. He was a good doctor and said the x-rays were good and that he wouldn't be surprised if he was up and running around by that night or the next morning.

Saturday night came and went with no walking and just crying when I was such an impatient and unsympathetic mother. So, the mother-of-the-year award does not go to me. Sunday morning came and still no walking. He was trying to tell us he couldn't get up on the table to eat his breakfast, but I was just bugged by it and ignored him. Even better yet...what a nurturing person I am. Cliff finally put him on the chair to eat and then he also got him dressed for church standing on his foot, but screaming at the same time. So, off to church we went and rolled him into Sacrament meeting in a stroller. Cliff dropped me off at our ward after visiting a different ward and took him home. Cliff was the nurturer in the situation. I tell you, my husband has more patience in certain situations than I do and so it is a good thing my kids have him for a father.

At night, Cliff had to leave for a fireside where him and his brothers were singing. So, I was left to take care of the crippled boy along with the other three. It wasn't bad. I took him to the bathroom and as I sat him down on the toilet, I noticed his foot was a little swollen. That was the turning point for my sympathy. I started feeling his ankle and noticing that it wasn't his shin that hurt, but right on his ankle. I texted Cliff and told him I was going to take him back to the doctor and have his ankle x-rayed the next morning. Cliff got home pretty late and we began discussing it again. Cliff just told me he would leave it up to me as to whether or not to take him in, but that he though he only needed to rest it and it would be okay.

This morning, we woke up as usual and almost forgot I needed to call and schedule an appointment for him until he told me he needed to go to the bathroom and I had to carry him once again. What a trooper he has been!

All the rest is history. We got him to the doctor this morning and found out it was his ankle that was broken. It was a very small break, but right at the bottom of the fibula. Wish me luck with taking care of a baby and a toddler needing to be treated like a baby for a bit.

2 comments:

a-jodi-hall-a-day said...

Oh poor Maika. I'm so sorry. It's ok. He will never remember and he will be such a tropper with pain from now on. Just give him lots of your usual hugs and kisses and all is forgiven.

Bridget said...

You sound a lot like me. As you have every right to. Occasionally, we mothers get it wrong. And I bet next time the doctor tells you something is okay and your child is still not the same, you'll probably be asking for a second opinion. Funny how they didn't even feel the ankle when he came in. That seems so obvious (it always is in hindsight).

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

The Last of the Baptisms: Tunoa

I am amazed at how beautiful this day turned out! Tunoa has not been excited to be baptized at all until he had his interview with the Bisho...